1.04.2010

Quickie game room re-do!

Another project I completed on my "computer break" was an overhaul of our children's game room.  This room has been a nasty PIT since we moved into our house 3 years ago.  See evidence here...








Okay, so it really wasn't THIS BAD, but close.  I snapped this pic after I started moving all the furniture out of the way.  This room has been the "catch-all" for our unwanted furniture, kid's toys that are never played with and after moving the sofas, lots of dirty socks and candy wrappers (yuck!)

I had NO budget for this re-do (which is ALWAYS a fun challenge!) so I shopped my house!  I'm always amazed at what I find hidden away in closets and boxes.

Here are the results!


I still need to figure out window treatments, but not bad for $0, eh?  See that rug?  That was a "trash day" find!  I can't believe what people will throw away!  After a dousing of Febreze and a good vacuuming, it's as good as new!


I had these prints from our old house, when I was in my "green & red" phase.


The gray blanket under the TV is temporary until I can find a cool runner.  Our old TV stand was scratched up and the drawers were broken, so this is another trash day find!  It weighs a ton (looked to be from the '70's!) and had a "dungeon-like" door in the middle which I quickly removed.

I consulted with my most favorite blogger Lindsay at Living With Lindsay on how to rehab this piece, since the veneer was all bubbly.  She suggested sanding down through the veneer (which, by the way, took about an hour and some "choice" words!) and then priming the heck out of it (I did 3 coats of primer!)  I spray painted it Rustoleum Colonial Red and then used a dark walnut stain with poly built in to "antique" it.

A big thank you to Lindsay for the advice.  It worked like a charm!


I found this license plate art at Garden Ridge on clearance for $5.  It's been sitting in my garage for the last 3 months waiting for a home.  This hangs over the TV.


I moved the bookshelves that flanked the old TV unit.  This wall has a small inset, so the shelves ALMOST look like built-ins.  The yellow chenille wingback chair was a Craig's list find for $25.  The door you see in the picture goes into the attic.  I like the fact that it's blocked off now (visions of my son playing in the insulation!)




These are the Kassett storage boxes from Ikea.  I love them!  They are cheap and more durable than photo boxes.  I printed labels to organize all the boys stuff.  Let's hope it stays that way!


This was another Garden Ridge find.  They look like lotto balls but they are ceramic.  I got them for $5 for a pack of 18.  Again, they were sitting in my garage waiting for a home!

Stay tuned....tomorrow I'll be showing you the re-do in my son's room!

I'm linking up to DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land and  Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch 

Check these blogs out for more amazing transformations!

7 comments:

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Oh, yay! It looks so great!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Your button is up, Kendall!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

i am loving the red coffee table/tv stand :) nice job!

Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

Awesome Maya, thank you! Sarah & Lindsay, thanks for the props! I can't wait to find a cool runner to replace that gray flannel blanket!

duchess said...

We have a room like this that I've recently started to redo. Thanks for the inspiration to get it done - yours looks great.

Rhonda said...

Wow it looks great!!!

Libby.Terrell said...

What a fantastic job. I bet the kiddos can't wait to hang out in there now!

Search my archives for more great ideas!