1.19.2010

Spray Paint Disaster Becomes a Cute Lamp Makeover!

I sometimes forget the "rules" regarding spray painting in cold temperatures.  I've never really paid much attention because I live in Houston which is a hot, sticky sauna most of the year (and I have bad hair pictures to prove it!)

Enter, this lamp...


Doesn't look too bad, right?  It started off black and I sprayed it white to go with all the coastal stuff that I'm putting together.

A closer look...






 Yikes!  The spray paint gods were not with me that day!  The paint started bubbling up and peeling, as a result of the cool temperature.

Note to self:  Cold + Spray Paint = Hot Mess!

So I started playing around (which is always dangerous!) and the end result is this!

 
Pretty cute, eh?  Here's what I did (and I'm still working on my goal of taking step by step pictures -- bad blogger, bad blogger *slapping myself repeatedly*):

1.  Wrapped lamp base in burlap.  Secured with a rubberband at the top.  I cut a small hole in the burlap on the backside for the cord to go through.
2.  Trimmed the edges of the burlap so they weren't too long.
3.  Took 3 shell necklaces and tucked them under the rubber band in the front of the lamp to create a sort of "tassel".
4.  Hot glued small conch shells on the lampshade








Disaster averted!

I'm linking up to:


14 comments:

Linda said...

Love how you added those seashells to the shade...it's soooo stinkin cute!

Hope you have a FUN Wednesday!
Blessings,
Linda

Kimm at Reinvented said...

What a great solution, it's even better now! Love the shells on the shade, very cute. thanks for linking up!

Joyeful said...

Way to save the lamp! I would never have thought of that! I've had many spray paint mishaps before, too and you came up with a clever way to cover it!

steffany said...

Very cute fix. Spray paint can be so finicky, and I am soooo impatient.

Anny said...

Cuteness! It now looks like a perma-gift :D

Raise Them Up said...

What a really clever way to cover up! I'm liking it!

Maya said...

I love the "wrapping" lamp! No fumes either!!

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com said...

Very cute!

Thanks for linking up with Talented Tuesday!

Messy@ Bungalow'56 said...

I'm so glad I randomly clicked you from the friends list at The Lemon Cottage. I quickly peeked at your site and love it. Really like the newbie introduction post. What a great idea. You've picked some great newcomers. I am gearing up to give my Bungalow'56 some "spit and shine" and I know I will returning for lots of "Finesse" inspiration. Thanks for Blogging!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Oh so very beachy!! Looks great!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Way to come up with such a creative fix after disaster strickes! Isn't it funny how creative we get when we have to?

Kim said...

This turned out so cute - it could be anything under that burlap. I like the fringy things you tied it with.

Jen said...

It looks like you meant to do that. Burlap is so popular right now and it turned out really cute. I have a few projects I am waiting to do when the weather warms up and I will keep your lamp in mind next time I get impatient to do them.

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

That is a fabulous idea! It's freezing here in Utah, so I'm going through spray paint withdrawals. ;)

Search my archives for more great ideas!