11.03.2009

Let's talk "turkey"!

Well, did you survive Halloween?  I did....barely.  I caught a nasty cold last Wednesday and was down, and I do mean DOWN, for 3 days.  We were supposed to attend an adult Halloween party Friday night, but instead I was holed up on the couch with Robitussin and cough drops, fun!  Our costumes were so awesome!  We were supposed to go as "white trash" -- Brett had a mullet, wife beater, prison ankle bracelet.  And moi?  I was going to be the pregnant "trophy wife" complete with mini skirt, fishnets, cowboy boots and "bun in the oven" shirt.  Oh well, there's always next year.  I was feeling better by Saturday, so I got to enjoy Halloween with the kiddos.  I've missed my little blog!  Sorry I was out of commission!

So, the Halloween garb comes down and now for the marathon that is Thanksgiving!  I've posted several decorating ideas, but want to focus today on "the feast", specifically your Thanksgiving table.  Now, if you are lucky enough to NOT be hosting Thanksgiving this year, enjoy!  For those of us who will be slaving over a hot stove & cleaning baseboards, read on...

I found some really cute placecards on HGTV.  Just click on the link to download the template.  I HEART FREEBIES!

http://web.hgtv.com/webhgtv/images/pac/2008/thanksgiving/pdfs/HG_Thanksgiving_Place-Cards_Final.pdf

Here's what they look like.  Cuteness!



HGTV recommends surrounding each card with chocolates (do they make chocolate turkeys?), nuts or fall leaves.  Another cute idea is to place the card in an empty wine glass and garnish with the above items.  Or cut a small slit in a gourd (love me some gourds!) and insert placecard.

Or, use a pinecone to hold the placecard, like so...



(photo BHG)

Now on to placesettings.  Here are some that I love!

I absolutely love this centerpiece for it's "un-fussiness".  I am SO not a napkin folder, and I love how the napkin is just tucked over the plate.  The coffee mug on top with the pinecone is adorable!


(photo HGTV)

Monogrammed mini pumpkins!  How cute is that?!


(photo BHG)


Don't buy napkin rings, it's so last year! Ha!  No really, don't spend money on rings when you can make your own at a fraction of the cost!  Just take cute harvest ribbon or suede cord, tie around your folded napkin, and tuck in a sprig of dried flowers, like bittersweet.


 (photo BHG)


We serve our Thanksgiving dinner buffet-style, which leaves room for a beautiful table centerpiece.  Here are some of my favorites!

This centerpiece is simple, yet beautiful.  White pumpkins, metallic painted gourds (spray paint, baby!) and simple candles in classic holders.

 
(photo HGTV)

This is a great idea!  Candles & loosely arranged potpourri!  Now there's a way to use that dusty bag of potpourri that you were given as a gift, but can't bear to re-gift, right?


(photo HGTV)

When you're at the store picking up your bird, buy some unpopped corn for a creative, simple centerpiece.  I love decorating from the grocery store!

 
(photo BHG)

Here's that same corn idea, kicked up a notch.  They layered unpopped corn & a variety of dried flowers and greenery.  Still easy, but a totally different look!

 
(photo BHG)

Now dat is just the cutest wittle pumpkin centerpiece I ever did see! (okay, cheesiness overflowing this morning)


 (photo BHG)


Okay seriously, this one would take all of 5 minutes to put together.  I love that!  Make a cone (ala cornucopia) out of doubled wrapping paper.  I love the map print they used in the picture, but you could use any beautiful wrapping paper.  Arrange fruit &/or veggies from the market to appear they are spilling out of the cornucopia.  Again, grocery store decorating, gotta love it!


(photo BHG)

Another grocery store idea!  They used kumquats in their vase, but I think clementines would be cute too (and probably cheaper!)


(photo BHG)

I love a centerpiece with a touch of whimsy.  This candle message centerpiece was created with 2 colors of felt.  Use any size pillar candle (they used minis in the pictures. Look at the dollar store for cheapo pillar candles).  Measure and cut one color of felt to cover each candle.  Secure with fabric or hot glue.  Cut out your message in a different color felt and glue on.  Some other cute messages might be:  "Turkey Time", "Thankful", "We Are Thankful", "Bless This House", or how about "Thanks" in different languages?  The possibilities are endless.  I love this idea. 


(photo Country Living)

No comments:

Search my archives for more great ideas!