3.31.2010

Repurposing a Room

I've had a lazy morning today.  My patio set is waiting for me outside, but I've been caught up in blogs and catching up with sites I haven't visited in awhile.  

Do you follow The Inspired Room?  I know for me, it was one of the very first blogs I started following.  I was tinkering around on Melissa's blog this morning which got me thinking about "authentic living".  What's authentic living, you ask?

In Melissa's words, "Authentic Living is living a life that really works. It is focusing on things that are appropriate for me and the season in my life.  It is about letting go of pressure to live out a life that isn’t really “me.” And this includes creating a home that may not look like the cover of a magazine, or just like my neighbors’ home, but one that nurtures my family and reflects more on WHO I AM than WHAT I HAVE."

Too often I find myself decorating like a magazine, creating little displays with completely useless stuff (usually things that create more dusting for me and more crash hazards for the little peeps!)  Melissa's approach to decorating is inspiring!  She uses basic everyday things that are beautiful instead of following trends or buying non-functional decor.  Go here to read more about how she finds her style, establishing a purpose for a room & a focal point, and creating mini-destinations within a room.  I really enjoyed re-reading this information and it has me thinkin'... (uh oh, she's thinkin' again!)

Here is our formal dining room, aka "the dust bunny room" because the only reason I go in there is to dust or mop.  We eat in here maybe twice a year!

(Eek, sorry for the yellowy picture!  This is an older photo when I was still learning my new fancy camera!)

In the spirit of authentic living, I'm really feeling like I want to repurpose this room to something we would actually USE.  So, what to do with it....hmmmm.....

It needs to look "presentable" since it slaps you in the face as soon as you enter the front door.  I'm thinking maybe it would work better for our family to create a sitting room, a place where we can have conversation away from the family/TV watching room and a place to read.

The room has lots of elements that I love.  The walls are painted a bittersweet chocolate color called "Tribal Pottery" from Ralph Lauren.  It has crown moulding and 3 windows that let in lots of light.   

I love the chandy...

the shell canvases...

and the curtains I made myself...

I have 2 bookcases that could go in the room that are currently in the foyer.
Look at all that "un-authentic" crap!  Ha!

Thoughts?  Ideas?

I think I'll be starting this after the patio is complete (hopefully by the end of this week! Knock on wood....err.....bamboo!)




Photobucket

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a sitting room would be wonderful. My parents used to have a family room and a living room, I always sat in the living room where it was quiet and peaceful. It was just so inviting!

Anonymous said...

I second the idea of a sitting room. I truly enjoy my little sitting room. It's full of "my" stuff, and there's no TV.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Love the Decor! said...

I love the idea of a sitting/reading area. Kinda of a relaxing get away from the electronics etc.
Big comfy chairs with an ottoman or two to put your feet up on. Maybe in a corner a small table and 2 chairs to play a game of checkers or do a jigsaw puzzle on. sort of the "old parlor" idea

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

The sitting room seems to be the idea of the day!

I am sure whatever you do will be gorgeous!

Enjoy!
XOXO
Cathy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oo--convicting!! We never eat in our Dining room. :s I can't wait to see what you do. :)

Alicia@Thrifty And Chic said...

Oh my goodness...I totally understand the whole authentic decorating, but this room you created is simply gorgeous. I don't know if I could part from it, good luck repurposing it :)

Tracy said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with.
We have a dinning room that we only use a couple times a year, well I do sew in it sometimes.
Really excited to see how you transform yours.

Vanessa said...

I also like the idea of a sitting room and maybe a room for old fashioned games (the non-video type). You could have a bookcase filled with books or magazines that everyone in your family enjoys reading. Things like board games, chess and checkers, card games, etc. It could be cute and kinda old fashioned at the same time. I also think the wall color, drapes and chandelier could work just fine.

Wish I could help you, sounds like a fun makeover!

Love
Vanessa

alanna rose said...

I think this room would lend itself to a really lovely sitting room!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Make it a library/study with comfy seating. Can't wait to see what you choose!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I luv the idea of a sitting room!

Happy Easter!
Blessings,
Linda

Lisa said...

The idea of decorating for yourself, and not to show off or imitate some magazine ideal is refreshing. I've just stopped by for the first time this morning, but I am bookmarking your blog. Thanks for writing!

Meg said...

A sitting room would be lovely! I really adore a lot of elements in this room. The chandelier is stunning and I love the brown. It would be kind of fun to see you add in splashes of a bright color to perk up the space a little. Like a brown and green room, or a brown and blue room. A happy color that you could incorporate with just a few statement accessories. Just a thought!

I'm excited to see what direction you choose. And I can't wait to see your patio reveal!!

Anonymous said...

While Internet shopping is convenient for many, what's more, it turns [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#921]north face outlet[/URL] people off because you must also pay for shipping and delivery to actually receive the products that you acquire online. When you find a excellent North Face jackets purchase shipping and [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#1172]the north face outlet[/URL] costs won't matter because you will be saving a good chunk of money.

Search my archives for more great ideas!